Sunday, January 14

Interview With Actor Chuck Constant

Chuck Constant is a British-trained, American stage actor, Producer, and prolific Voice-Over artist.

Charles is one of the stars of
All I’ve Got & Then Some, which will be premiering at the 2024 Slamdance Film Festival in January.

After training in Chicago and London, Charles went on to appear in theaters across the country, in all kinds of plays, as well as musicals, opera, improvisational comedy, film, and television.

His favorite, though, is Shakespeare. Charles has performed in more than twenty-eight of Shakespeare’s plays, including
Twelfth Night, which was directed by Michael Pennington of the Royal Shakespeare Company.

In addition, Charles has narrated more than two hundred titles for many elite publishers, including Penguin Random House, Harper Collins, Hachette, Recorded Books, Tantor, Oasis, Dreamscape, and more.

La Libertad:  Where are you from?

Chuck:  I started out in the suburbs of Chicago, but moved into the city as soon as I could. I miss it!

La Libertad:  How did you get your start in acting?

Chuck:  A long story, slightly less long here; freshman year of high school, I [wanted] to perform in the school talent show. I did magic, and planned to do that in the show, but I needed the classic white tie and tails, and I knew our school had several rooms full of costumes they used for the school plays.

The teacher who directed most of the plays was a close acquaintance of my best friend's dad, so an introduction was arranged for me to meet with this teacher, Doug Murphy, and ask if I could borrow a tux.

I was told that I could, but it was on the condition that I audition for the next school play. I auditioned, got cast, was totally hooked, and I have never looked back!

La Libertad:  Of what accomplishment are you most proud?

Chuck:  I think it might be that I have actually managed to make a career of it all, and never gave up on the dream. It has been a very, very long and difficult road getting to where I could actually pay my bills with money from acting, but it has been so very worth it!

La Libertad:  How did you become involved with All I've Got & Then Some?

Chuck:  Rasheed Stephens, the film's co-director and co-writer, became a friend of mine several years ago. He is a friend of my business partner, and he and I just hit it off, and we started hanging out.

A while later, he decided to do a film, and asked me if I wanted to be part of it. I had a tiny role in that one; then he did another, and offered me a larger role. Then, he got financing for a good-sized budget on yet another feature, and again, offered me a part. While the details of that film were being hashed out, he and Tehben Dean, the other co-director/co-writer, decided to shoot another film, which turned out to be All I've Got and Then Some.

La Libertad:  What was your most memorable moment on set?

Chuck:  That's probably when I was shooting an episode of a well-known TV series, and thought I was about to be fired. I am American, but I went to school in England for a while, so I can put on various British accents fairly easily.

I was doing one for the character in the episode, but between shots, I was speaking in my normal accent. The director overheard me. He came to me, and said, "You're not from England? I told casting I wanted only actual English actors to read for this role!"  That's when I thought it was all over, but he said, "Well, you fooled me!" And that was that. The shoot went on, and all was well.

La Libertad:  What is your favorite Shakespearean quote, and how can it apply to modern days?

Chuck:  Gah! So many from which to choose, I suppose, but mine is from Hamlet:  "We know what we are, but know not what we may be." I just think that many people underestimate what they can accomplish in life. They listen to the negative voices that are so prevalent in the world now. People have so much potential; they only need to acknowledge it, and the journey can begin.

La Libertad:  What are you most looking forward to in 2024?

Chuck:  Of course, I am looking forward to the film premiering, at Slamdance, in January, and to whatever that brings with it. I am also eager to get started on the next project, East Point, which is going to start shooting in Atlanta, as soon as we can lock down the actors' schedules.

La Libertad:  What are your overall career goals?

Chuck:  Of course, larger roles in film, or a series regular would be nice, but I'd just like to keep working, you know? I would also welcome more opportunities to produce, which is a new area for me.

La Libertad:  What links would you like to share?

Chuck:  I think this is the easiest one:  linktr.ee/CharlesConstant

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?

Chuck:  . . .I'll leave you with one of my favorite proverbs:

If you want happiness for an hour - take a nap.
If you want happiness for a day - go fishing.
If you want happiness for a month - get married.
If you want happiness for a year - inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a lifetime - help someone else.

Best regards. . .

Edited by William Mortensen Vaughan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment