Sunday, January 14

Interview With Director Rasheed Stephens

Rasheed Stephens introducted himself to us as "one of the directors for All I've Got & Then Some, which, he tells us, "will premier at [the] Slamdance Film Festival," which is scheduled for January 19-24, 2024.

La Libertad:  Where are you from?

Rasheed:  I was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia.

La Libertad:  How did you get your start in film?

Rasheed:  I gave myself a start by. . .teaching myself. . .to write scripts. I used other writers' works as templates to help me cultivate my skills.

La Libertad:  Of what accomplishment are you most proud?

Rasheed:  Getting our film All I've Got & Then Some into Slamdance.

La Libertad:  Where did you get the idea for your 2024 Slamdance feature, All I've Got & Then Some?




Rasheed:  Tehben called me in the middle of June. . .after a slow spring, out of work, and waiting around to see what was going to happen with all the industry strikes. When I picked up the phone, he said, "Hey man, I was thinking a lot last night; remember that idea you had for the web series you told me about last year? I think we should take that concept and work it into a film, and then just go shoot it." 

I almost dropped my phone. "No way, man, I was literally thinking the exact same thing last night; I'm not even kidding, honest to God. The movie is based on my life."

La Libertad:  What would you like to tell our readers about your upcoming festival screening, and what you are most excited about?  

Rasheed:  I'm really looking for the response and reactions of the audience, and how they will receive our film.

La Libertad:  Who are some directors and movies that have inspired you?




Rasheed:  Spike Lee is a filmmaker I highly admire. Do The Right Thing, Pulp Fiction, [and] Swingers are  films that have immensely shaped my vision. I love indie filmmakers and film.

La Libertad:  What are you most looking forward to in 2024?

Rasheed:  I want to make two to three films in 2024 that will shake up the world.

La Libertad:  What are your overall career goals?

Rasheed:  To get to make films of my choosing without the worries of financing.  

La Libertad:  What links would you like to share?

Rasheed:  Our Trailer:  https://youtu.be/BRXk7z36tWk

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?

Rasheed:  Please go watch All I've Got & Then Some at [the] Slamdance Film Festival, for its world premier, January 20th, at 5 p.m. at The Yarrow, in Park City.

Edited by William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment