Sunday, January 14

Interview With Director Tehben Dean

Josh Mitchell referred Tehben Dean to us. Tehben introduced himself to us as someone who "co-directed All I’ve Got & Then Some, with Rasheed Stephens." Furthermore, he informed us that their film "premiers at Slamdance 2024, in the Narrative Features category."

La Libertad:  Where are you from?

Tehben:  I was born in Appalachia, but mostly grew up in Alaska; I consider myself Alaskan.

La Libertad:  How did you get your start in film-making?

Tehben:  I grew up in a very creative family; my whole family is in the arts, so thinking creatively was instilled in me from the beginning. I didn’t find film until my early twenties, but when I realized that was what I wanted to do, I never looked back.

Starting out, I was making music videos, and working to become a cinematographer by teaching myself and learning on the job. I put all my energy into cinematography for well over a decade, but directing was a candle that was probably lit from the beginning, even though I only more recently realized I could do it, and wanted to do it.

La Libertad:  Of what accomplishment are you most proud?

Tehben:  Never giving up when the going was hard, and making a film that was inspiring enough to be selected to showcase at Slamdance. It feels especially special to me because that is what our film All I’ve Got & Then Some is really all about - never giving up. I am really proud of that.

La Libertad:  What influenced the look of your 2024 Slamdance feature, All I’ve Got & Then Some?

Tehben:  I think my experience shooting a lot of documentary over the years was the biggest inspiration for the look of the film. I wanted to explore some experimental ideas, and take an unconventional approach to telling a narrative, and this story was the perfect opportunity to do so.

La Libertad:  How did you get started as a Director of Photography?

Tehben:  I went to a film-making course, and then kind of randomly fell in love with photography shortly after. Those two things eventually merged, and then I just started shooting music videos and short films every chance I had.

La Libertad:  Who are some directors and movies that have inspired you?

Tehben:  Terrence Malick was a big inspiration early on. Emmanuel Lubezki and Matthew Libatique are D.P.’s I’ve looked up to for a long time. Some films I love (off the top of my head) are Under the Skin, The Lighthouse, Alien, and Jurassic Park. Oh and I have to give Peter Jacksons Lord of the Rings a lot of credit for inspiring my journey.

La Libertad:  What are you most looking forward to in 2024?

Tehben:  Using this opportunity to build creative relationships with amazing people, and making beautiful films.

La Libertad:  What are your overall career goals?

Tehben:  To tell inspiring stories, and be able to live comfortably doing so.

La Libertad:  What links would you like to share?




Tehben:  

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tehben/

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tehben/

Slamdance: https://slamdance2024.eventive.org/schedule/65778ba22f08640040102fff

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?

Tehben:  I encourage you to pursue your dreams because, if you believe in yourself, and never give up, you will succeed.

Thanks. . .

Interview by Josh Mitchell

Introduction and editing by William Mortensen Vaughan


No comments:

Post a Comment