Saturday, August 1

Interview With Mai-Kimm T. Dang


mai-kim t dang, kimmy dangWe published a model profile last month, of Mai-Kim T. Dang, nicknamed "Kimmy."  This month, she granted us this interview.

La Libertad:  Where were you born?

Kimmy:  Cleveland, Ohio.

La Libertad:  Where do you currently reside?

Kimmy:  After living in Brooklyn, N.Y. [New York] (2010), followed by three years in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (2011-2014), I have returned to the Midwest - Northeastern Ohio.

La Libertad:  What is your occupation?

Kimmy:  Professional Filmmaker, with a focus on Independent Films and Black Animations.

La Libertad:  What do you love most about your work?

Kimmy:  There are numerous things that make my profession fascinating and rewarding!  Combining literature, history, music, [and] emotions into one art form is an incredible orchestration. Meeting others in the film industry [who] have emerged as artists seeking to make important changes in the world gives me a sense that I am connected to those who are hungry to make a beautiful existence for humanity, and say something meaningful.  Having no limitations on what is possible; using one’s spirituality, imagination, intellect, and beauty to make film, is part of why I do face all the challenges to pursue my dreams.

La Libertad:  What talents and hobbies do you have?

Mai-Kim T. Dang by Pawel Lukas
Kimmy Dang, by Pawel Lukas

Kimmy:  I am amazing when it comes to undertaking research, and designing artistic projects.  As far as hobbies, my interests are so numerous!  But I definitely have a fascination with interior design and architecture.  Also, I want to strengthen my photography skills, and perhaps finally begin learning the art of painting.  These days, I am very interested in becoming more involved in water sports.

La Libertad:  What inspires you?

Kimmy:  Compassion, intelligence, raw human hope and drive.

La Libertad:  What is the hardest part of your job(s)?

Kimmy:  Fundraising, without a doubt!  Searching for investors and those willing to commit money to narrative features; short, creative films and documentaries is entirely fatiguing.

La Libertad:  What foreign languages, if any, do you read, write, and/or speak?

Kimmy:  The languages that I wish to pursue fluency in are Arabic, Amharic, and Vietnamese.  I also would like to master the English language, because I find too often that English is a language that has room for flexibility, but it's taught as if correct/standard English has a certain exterior that is actually quite inaccurate.

La Libertad:  Where have you traveled?

Kimmy:  My senior year of high school was spent in Japan.  In college I studied in Israel (a short, ten-day trip), and took a vacation to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  I have had the pleasure to visit San Francisco, Atlanta, New Orleans, [and] Toronto, and [I] spent three years in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  


Mai-Kim T. Dang at Twinsburgh Heights, Ohio, participating in "Voices of the Hill," Carla Lyndale Carter, Director
Kimmy, students & teachers at Twinsburgh Heights, Ohio, participants in an oral history project, directed by Carla Lyndale Carter, titled "Voices of the Hill"
In the future, I look forward to visiting Oaxaca, Mexico; Haiti; Bali, Indonesia; Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique; Vietnam; Bolivia; and Turkey.  Traveling definitely is a huge part of my inspiration, and allows me to connect with film persons and its audiences.

La Libertad:  What are your career goals?

Kimmy:  To write novels (writing was my first love since a child before being overtaken in my early twenties with a love for cinema), to direct two to four feature films over the next six years.

La Libertad:  What projects are you working on?

Kimmy:  I am working on a multitude of projects.  I am set to direct a feature film tentatively entitled Getachew, written by Mister Getachew Yezengaw.  It is a story that examines the consequences of humanity’s stubborn, superstitious, and impulsive nature on two very unlike families in a rural Ethiopian community.  The story for the writer is ultimately about forgiveness, an important theme in his Orthodox Christian upbringing.

I have been working on my documentary web series "12 Bar Blues" since the winter of 2014.  It follows the stories of African-Americans studying African languages and/or their experiences working/living/traveling to Africa.  What is important for myself and my cinematographer Steven C. Boone is that we capture the full spectrum of Black experiences with second language acquisition and time spent abroad in the continent of Africa.  Growing up in a predominately Black city, I still feel very much alienated from knowing the lives and dreams within these communities.  So it is important for us to meet African-Americans in a range of states:  California, South Carolina, Hawaii, Florida, Maine, et cetera.

The above projects are expected to be completed by early 2017.  Then I would like to focus on my original narrative “Serkosh Ber,” an Islamic moral tale on the judgment of humanity.  The range of funds needed for these projects [is] from three thousand to one million U.S. Dollars.  Film-making is a slow process for a reason.

I am hoping to shoot two short films with Steven by the end of fall, 2015.  All these projects will contribute to the rise of independent Black Cinema.

La Libertad:  What upcoming events, if any, do you intend to participate in?

Kimmy:  Currently, I am working on an oral history project documenting the rise of violence in East Cleveland, Ohio and [other] major American cities.

La Libertad:  What links would you like to share?

Kimmy:  


https://vimeo.com/user35544134/videos 

I am in the process of developing a website, and it will be amazing I assure [you].  All the slow time that is missed out on other parts of my life, I will devote to its perfection.

My videography work can be viewed at Waterloo Arts’ youtube page:


Mai-Kim T. Dang by Ian Baguskas
Kimmy Dang, by Ian Baguskas
www.youtube.com/user/ArtsCollinwoodVideo/videos

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?

Kimmy:  I traveled to Africa in 2011 with the hopes of being part of a movement to increase the visibility of African films in the United States.  Having lived in Africa for three years, I now know fully that the content - that the artists are there, and it's quite reasonable to accomplish this.  Furthermore, I am always looking for partners to work with, in building film ties between the African-American industry and Africa.

Interview by Libertad Green

Introduction by William Mortensen Vaughan 

Photos by __________






1 comment:

  1. I admire your amazing fight against state courts blatant enslavement of human dignity and abuse and slaughter of children for federal funds. The Almighty One is with you

    ReplyDelete