Friday, March 7

Interview with Ben Schyan

If memory serves, I either first met Ben in front of Central Casting, or in front of The Upright Citizens' Brigade, in Los Angeles, California.  Born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, Ben has moved to Los Angeles where he is producing a web series entitled "2 For Flinching."  We interviewed Ben more than a year ago, and are anxious to catch up with him again.



WMV:  In what city and State do you currently reside?

Ben:   Valley Village...

WMV:  You are apparently involved with The Nova D Arts Collective

(http://www.ndartscollective.com). 

What does the "D" stand for?

Ben:  My friend “Davon Williams” originally started the site.  NovaD is just his name spelled backwards.  Pretty cool, eh?

WMV:  Is

https://twitter.com/Novadartscollec

your collective's Twitter page, or is that a different collective in Philadelphia?

Ben:   Originally, Davon lived in Philadelphia, and he brought his business out west.

WMV:  What else would you like to tell the world about The Nova D Arts Collective?

Ben:  It’s a great place for other artists to collaborate, and share their talents in a group setting, to help one another gain notoriety.

WMV:  Was your series "2 For Flinching" inspired by World Wrestling Entertainment's "Five for Flinching"?

Ben:  No.  In each episode, there are at least two possible outcomes of the character's choices in his head, and he always flinches when he is faced with a decision, so he gets at least two choices for his flinching; [id est], "2 For Flinching," and I borrowed the phrase, which is originally derived from when someone raises a fist to punch someone else, and that person flinches, the first person will punch twice because the second person flinched.   

WMV:  Since our last interview, it appears you have launched your own website

(http://benschyan.com). 

Are you the webmaster?

Ben:  I am indeed.  My website is under construction, and I hope to have it up sometime in March.  I decided it needed a make over, and I needed to be more attentive to it, since it is the “store window” of my business.

WMV:  You mentioned traveling to Israel and Bermuda in our last interview.  Where have you traveled to since then?

Ben:  The Only place I really traveled to is up north, to other areas of California, such as San Francisco, which is a very pretty place to visit, as well as Santa Rosa, where I attended a Cuddle Party, as well as visited the Charles Shultz Museum.  A must visit for all Peanuts fans!

WMV:  Have you become a regular character on the series "Laps"?

Ben:  I’m afraid not, but I was honored to have appeared in the episode I did, with a few of my friends.  As well, I may bring the Star Art Hall into an episode of “2 For Flinching," in the near future.

WMV:  You play an "Elevator rider" in "Laps."  Are you more fond of, than afraid of, elevators?

Ben:  I have nothing against elevators, but, sometimes, I need to just take the stairs - that is, if I want to keep the weight off.

WMV:  You played a "Valet boss" in Life, B***s***.  Have you ever worked as a valet in reality?

Ben:   That I have not, probably because I can’t drive a stick shift car!

WMV:  Do you appreciate valet service, or do you find mandatory valet service annoying?

Ben:  I can role with either punch.  Once, I valeted my car at a restaurant, and when I went to get my car, the Valet said he was sitting in my car to stay warm; I didn’t quite know how to respond to that.

WMV:  As the owner and director of "2 For Flinching," how many people do you employ?

Ben:  That’s a good question; it depends on the demand of the episodes I create.  Sometimes, it’s just me, my source of conflict, and maybe a few extras, or sometimes the decision requires more people involved, so it’s just based on my creativity.  I just let myself create; then I take it from there.

WMV:  Do you feel you have ever been given preferential treatment or discriminated against in the entertainment industry in general, or in Hollywood in particular?

Ben:  Yes, I tried to get into a club called the Bar Marmont on Sunset, and the woman denied me and some friends because we weren’t on a list, then she let [someone] in a few women seconds later, no questions asked.

WMV:  Congratulations on becoming "a S.A.G./A.F.T.R.A. member in good standing"!  Has this helped you get more work in film and television, or has it proven to be more of a hindrance?

Ben:  It has become a hindrance.  Being in the union isn’t what it once was, and it has actually been more difficult to get work.  But it’s something that was inevitable that I do, so I was brought in, due to "the Merger."  And I enjoy having my web series under the umbrella of the union.  I feel like I can hire any actor that shows interest that way.

WMV:  How should potential cast and crew or investors contact you?

Ben:  E-mail is Best: 

BenSchyan@yahoo.com 

Or call 213-254-8826

WMV:  When reviewing actor and crew member applications, how much weight do you give their IMDb pages, StarMeter Ratings, and/or whether or not they have head shots and demo reels on their IMDb pages?

Ben:  To be honest, I don’t even look at IMDB.  It’s mainly their head shot alone, and, if I want reassurance, I check the resumé.  But I always audition, whether in person, or Skype, or just a coffee talk to get a feel of their personality. 

WMV:  Do you have a theatrical or commercial agent?

Ben:  I am currently unrepresented, but I am in search for both.  So any referrals are appreciated (hint, hint), as well as Print Representation.  A great source of income, and none [of] the memorization.

WMV:  How [did] you intend to celebrate Valentine's Day this year?

Ben:  To quote a former singer, Gilbert O'Sullivan, "Alone again, naturally."

No comments:

Post a Comment