Friday, February 7

Interview with Chris Kanik

Born and raised in Union City, New Jersey, with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics from Cornell University, and experienced as a stand-up comedian in New York City, Chris Kanik is a co-founder of the NuHo Film Festival.  The launch of the NuHo Online Film Festival is scheduled for February 7, 2014.

WMV:  Being from New Jersey, what comment, if any would you care to make about Governor Christie?

Chris:  I like that he speaks the how he feels, and doesn't sugar coat anything.  That's my style.

WMV:  Your bio on NuHoFilmFest.com indicates you are among the first generation of immigrant parents; what nation did they immigrate from?

Chris:  My mom is from Cuba, and my father is from Turkey.

WMV:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell the world about your parents, siblings, children, significant others, and/or other friends and  relatives?

Chris:  I have a very fun family.  We all make fun of each other non-stop.  My brothers are the most creative people I have ever met.  Lazy, but creative...

WMV:  Your bio indicates that you live "in South Orange County."  What city and State do you currently reside in?

Chris:   South Orange County,  LOL!  ["California Area," as opposed to Florida, according to LinkedIn...]

WMV:  What Internet links would you like to share?

Chris:  My NuHo Film Festival link!  I have worked for over two years on this concept, and we are finally launching Feb Seventh.

www.NuHoFilmFest.com
Keith Mitchell, Dave Parker, Ivan Djurovic and Chris Kanik


WMV:  As someone with a degree in economics who co-founded an entertainment business, what thoughts, if any, would you like to share about the world and U.S. economies in general, and California, Los Angeles, and Hollywood's economies in particular?

Chris:  Hollywood is an a** backwards business.  Glorified accountants and non-creative people taking advantage of the creative people who are simply driven by their art...  But, if you can figure out the system, there is a way to be very successful. 

WMV:  What, if anything, would you like to share with us about any of your fellow alumni from Cornell, or Cornell University Staff?

Chris:  Cornell is the coldest place on the planet.   I don't like the cold, but [it] never stopped me from wearing flip flops and shorts in January.

WMV:  One of the pictures you sent us is of two men:  you and the other co-founder of the NuHo Film Fest, Keith Mitchell, correct?

Chris:  Yes...

WMV:  One of the pictures you sent us is of you two with two other men.  Are they Elric Kane and Hans Luttman, your Directors of Programming?

Chris:  No...  Dave Parker, [and] Ivan Djurovic...  Dave Parker directed Coldwater and Ivan was the lead actor.  It's a solid thriller they set out to make independently.

WMV:  Who's who, from left to right?

Chris:  Answer above...

WMV:  You were referred to us by Josh Mitchell; are Keith and Josh related?

Chris:  LOL!  No...

WMV:  I noticed a pair of dog tags around your co-founder's neck.  Did either of you serve in the military, and, if so, what thoughts, if any, would you like to share about your service in particular, and the military in general?

Chris:  I'm pretty sure I was an Ottoman Empire soldier in a past life.  No, I am not sure where he got those from.  Chances are they're just accessories.  He likes to accessorize.

WMV:  Your bio lists Damon Wayans, Charlie Murphy, Judah Friedlander, Aziz Ansari and "Louie Ck" among the comedians you worked with.  Are they your favorites?

Chris:  No comment.

WMV:  Who are your favorite celebrities, including economists, scientists, athletes, etcetera, as well as comedians, musicians, and movie stars?

Chris:  I love George Carlin.  Derek Jeter sweats class.  I get a kick out of Bill Maher.  My absolute favorite is The Rock.

WMV:  Who haven't you worked with that you'd like to?

Chris:  I prefer to work alone.

WMV:  Your LinkedIn page indicates you co-founded Smart Cups.  What kind of cups are they (athletic, bra, coffee...) and what's so Smart about them?

Chris:  Can't say at moment...  More to come in a few months...

WMV:  Andrew Zimmern, Natasha Leggero, and Sarah Silverman have recently made headlines for their vulgarity and insensitivity.  As a comedian and a professional entertainer, what punches, if any, do you pull, and what holds, if any, do you think should be barred?

Chris:  None!  I don't think what we say or think should be limited.  I am the offspring of a Cuban who fled communist Cuba.  Freedom of expression is very important to me.  Especially comedy!  Humor is subjective; what one person thinks is funny another may find offensive.

WMV:  Is www.imdb.com/name/nm4191149 your IMDb page, and, if so what credits, if any, are you missing?

Chris:  A ton!  I don't really update that very often.

WMV:  The filmography on that page only lists one credit:  My Imaginary Friend is Fabio, starring Fabio.  Are you a friend or at least a fan of Fabio in reality?

Chris:  It was just a fun sketch I did.  The writer was actually my Improv teacher at [the] Upright Citizens Brigade [www.ucbtheatre.com].

WMV:  How important do you think it is for an actor to have a filmography on IMDb.com, and/or a Pro.IMDb.com account?

Chris:  It's like a business card now, I guess.  It's the first place I go to check what someone has done and double check to see if they are full of s***.  Hmmm... I guess I should start icing a s*** about my IMDB.  Funny thing is, I used to have a Wikipedia page.  I have no idea where it came from. One day it just appeared.  I was like "cool," but then decided I didn't like being searched.  I worked to get it taken off.

WMV:  The primary reason you granted LA Libertad this interview is to promote the NuHo Film Festival, the online launch of which is scheduled for Friday, February 7, 2014.  Your website claims that it is "the world's first all-inclusive film gala" - "Sundance, Tribeca, Toronto, and Cannes, all rolled into one online platform"!  What else would you like our readers to know about it?

Chris:  I am not sure whether NuHo will ever be a household name, but one thing is for certain:  It is the first of what will be the future and the norm.

WMV:  Did you attend the Sundance Film Festival this year, and, if so, was it worth the trip?

Chris:  I did not.  I was too busy planning my own festival.

WMV:  How do you intend to celebrate Valentine's Day this year?

Chris:  Probably do something really nice for my wife...

WMV:  What recommendations would you make for places to go and movies to watch with your Valentine?

Chris:  That's a good question.  I should start looking into that.

Interview by William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment