Friday, January 27

Interview With Author William Bernhardt


Josh Mitchell asked William to answer these questions for an interview in La Libertad Magazine:

La Libertad:  Where are you from?

William:  Oklahoma.

La Libertad:  How did you get your start in writing?

William:  All I ever wanted to be was a writer. I grew up loving books and words and language. But I lived in a small, Oklahoma town, with no writers, much less writing programs, so it was a struggle. I eventually got there, but this is why I’ve devoted so much energy to the WriterCon programs; I’m trying to make the journey a little easier for the next generation of aspiring writers.

La Libertad:  Of what accomplishment are you most proud?

William:  I have six children, all of them artistic, and all successful. They are the joy of my life.

La Libertad:  Where did you get the idea for your new novel The Florentine Poet?

William:  I wanted to take a break from the legal thrillers, and


write about what matters to me most:  art, literature, family, love, and what it means to be an artist. And to my happy surprise, critics are saying it's the best book I've ever written.

La Libertad:  Can we expect more from the Daniel Pike series?

William:  Funny you should ask! I'm working on a book that pairs my two most successful lawyer characters:  Ben Kincaid, lead character in nineteen of my novels; and my more recent creation, Daniel Pike, lead character in six novels. It's like a literary version of a Marvel team-up. I'm having a lot of fun writing about these two very different men trying to work together.

La Libertad:  What inspires you?

William:  A good story.

La Libertad:  What are you most looking forward to at Sundance 2023?

William:  Seeing the movies! I loved Aliens Abducted My Parents!

La Libertad:  What are your overall career goals?

William:  More writing! I'm just getting started! I want to write more and better, and I want to continue mentoring and publishing other writers. I know how fortunate I am to have this life in the arts, and I cherish every day of it.
 
La Libertad:  What links would you like to share?

William:  To learn more about me:

www.williambernhardt.com

To learn more about the programs I host for writers and aspiring writers:

www.writercon.com

[NOTE:  As of January 27, 2023, the above link leads to a webpage which indicates that "This account has been suspended."]

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?

William:  The most important element to a successful writing


career is perseverance. No writing career ever happened overnight. You will probably face a lot of rejection before you find your path. That’s natural and part of the process, so don’t let it worry you. As I say at the end of each episode of the WriterCon podcast, “You cannot fail if you refuse to quit.”

Introduction and editing by William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment