Saturday, January 14

Interview With Author Tracy Lea Carnes

Tracy introduced herself to us as the author of the novel, The Darlings of Sundance, and as a "storyteller" "out of the womb." Here are some stories she shared with us.

La Libertad: Where are you from?

Tracy:  Shreveport, Louisiana.

La Libertad: How did you get your start in writing?

Tracy:  I came out of the womb as a storyteller. I was telling all kinds of stories before I could even read or write. So, once I learned how to write, there wasn’t any stopping me! Of course I’ve taken classes and honed my craft since then.

La Libertad: Of what accomplishment are you most proud?

Tracy:  Actually, writing a book and entertaining people with it. That makes me proud. It’s not easy writing a novel. Just typing the words “THE END” at its completion is a feat to be proud of. Seeing it displayed in a bookstore is even cooler.

La Libertad: Where did you get the idea for your new novel The Darlings of Sundance?

Tracy:  I had been going to Sundance, for several years, with a unique and talented group of friends from L.A., New York, and even Canada. I thought Sundance would make an excellent setting for a book, and so I took all the stories and experiences I had at Sundance, and put them in a novel.

La Libertad: What would you like to tell our readers about your latest television pilot script "Scrum Down"?

Tracy:  I am a big fan of club rugby, and I was introduced to it by one of my best friends, many years ago. I thought it would make for a good story, and so I followed this rag-tag group of men all over the country, chasing rugby. Then I teamed up with my friend David Paterson (screenwriter/producer Bridge to Terabithia and The Great Gilly Hopkins) to turn my experience into a well-honed T.V. script and story. It’s men’s rugby from a female perspective.

La Libertad: What inspires you?

Tracy:  I can find a story in just about anything. People inspire me. Everyone has a story in them. I almost died when I was thirty, so finding the joy in everyday life became a priority for me. And my experiences seem to make for some good stories.

La Libertad: What are you most looking forward to at Sundance 2023?

Tracy:  Seeing friends I haven’t seen in years; the hustle and bustle of Main Street; and the creative energy that seems to ooze out of every venue at Sundance. It’s a special place for me, and I have some of the best memories of my life there. I hope to create more of those memories this year. The swag doesn’t suck, either!

La Libertad: What are your overall career goals?

Tracy:  For my writing to have purpose and meaning. I am a very visual writer, and I hope my stories can translate well to stage and screen.

La Libertad: What links would you like to share?

Tracy: 

tracylcarnes.com 

thepulpwoodqueens.com 

ArcadyBayEnt.com

La Libertad: What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?

Tracy:  My friend, Kathy L. Murphy, runs the biggest international book club in the world, The International Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guys Reading Nation Book Club, and I not only appreciate her friendship, but I also appreciate her support of my writing. It was Kathy who picked my first novel for her club, thirteen years ago, and I’m back with my second novel now. Kathy is also a great artist, and she did the cover art [for] my new book. I think because she loves books so much, and reads every single word, that she captured the true essence of my main character for the cover. I think it looks fabulous.

Thank you all so much!

Introduction and editing by William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment