Monday, October 25

Interview With Comedian Camille Solari

Camille Solari


 Josh Mitchell, a publicist at PUB.LIE.SIZE, introduced Camille Solari to us as his "new comedian/writer/director client," a "vibrant and prolific triple-threat" who has headlined "stand-up shows across the globe," and worked with celebrities such as Arsenio Hall.

Josh tells us that Camille, being the "daughter of an Italian lawyer and a French-Canadian teacher," "grew up in. . . Brookline, Massachusetts."

After her daughter was born, Josh informs us, Camille "created a pilot for a children’s series called 'Charlie,' and landed a TV deal. The series airs on Amazon Prime, and stars Camille’s real-life daughter, Charlie; and the family dog, Rocky, with each season corresponding with Charlie’s age.

"The show follows the trials and tribulations of a little girl and her dog who solve neighborhood problems with the help of her animal friends."

This is the interview that Camille granted us.

La Libertad: Where are you from?  

Camille: I am originally from Boston, Massachusetts. I'm a Masshole. However, my mother's side of the family is French Canadian; I spent summers there and have a dual citizenship.

La Libertad: How did you get your start in comedy?

Camille: I was a late bloomer to stand-up comedy.  I had already been on Comedy Central several times as a writer and comedy performer, but not stand up. Nine years ago, I did a comedy showcase at The Comedy Store and landed a comedy manager a few years later.  I became a regular at The Laugh Factory, Hollywood, my home club, and then, after that, I showcased for "The Arsenio Hall Show," and landed my first late night television spot.  At that point, I took off as a comedian and was headlining around the world. Arsenio coined me as "The first comedienne in history to do stand-up comedy pregnant (and showing) on late night television, and called my act "Camille Solari and her Future Child." That child, because [she was] my daughter Charlie, was truly my muse. I created a television pilot called "Charlie," starring Charlie, about a little girl and her dog who solve neighborhood problems, with the help of her animal friends, while her comedian mother (played by me) discovers the perils and pitfalls of being a new mom.  It was picked up by Roku, and now Amazon Prime, and we are in Season Seven.

La Libertad: What would you like to tell our readers about your New Zealand show, "Kiwis Coming Home"?

Camille: My husband is from New Zealand, and my second child, Blade, was actually born in Christchurch, New Zealand. Because of CoViD [Corona Virus Disease], we left L.A. [Los Angeles] immediately, when it started, and moved to New Zealand.  Those weeks turned into months, which turned into a year and half. At that time, there was no CoViD, many New Zealanders were returning home, even celebrity Kiwis.  I pitched the show and the show got picked up by one of the main New Zealand networks. I shot the series for the past year.  I would go around New Zealand and interview celebrities who came back home to New Zealand. It will be released by Amazon Prime internationally.

La Libertad: What inspires you?

Camille: My family inspires me - Charlie; Blade; and husband, Hamish; our dog Rocky (he's a Boston Terrier); they mean the world to me.  

La Libertad: What is the hardest part of being a comedian during CoViD?

Camille: I had a different experience. We left L.A. two weeks into the pandemic, and I got to continue a normal life headlining in New Zealand. It's very different there; I had to change my act a bit; it took me "a second" to understand the Kiwi crowd. I moved "Charlie," the series to New Zealand, and I got to host and direct a really fun and funny new TV show, "Kiwis Coming Home."  I headlined once a month on a show I created, called "The Secret Lives of Comedians," at a swanky lounge in Christchurch called Austin's Club.

La Libertad:  What are your overall career goals?

Camille: It's time to put out a comedy special; I was planning to shoot it in New Zealand when I get back there next year.  I would like to direct more television, and I have my eye on a feature I would like to direct. I did a series called "Lost In Regina" that I wrote, directed, and acted in, with a lot of well known comedians; I would like to see that series on a good network. I plan to get nominated for an Emmy. I try every year; we get close; soon...

La Libertad: What links would you like to share?

Camille:

Instagram: @camillesolari
   
Twitter: camillesolari

Introduction by Josh Mitchell

Edited by William Mortensen Vaughan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment