Monday, September 7

Nine Ways to Hell Interview Two: Nick Dragon, Director of "Betrayal"


Nick Dragon is an Executive Producer of​ 9 Ways to Hell​, and the writer/director of ​ Betrayal​.

I'm a freelance writer, video editor, graphic designer, DVD [Digital Video Disc] author, and filmmaker.

I hate freelancing. I want to get paid to nap, but my clients stubbornly refuse my requests.

There's a Movie Nick and a Book Nick.

Movie Nick spent thousands of hours occupying the ass-killer seats of the New Beverly Theater and the comparatively ass-friendly seats of the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, submerging himself in old movies. And new movies... And weird, artsy things that barely qualified as movies... And most definitely horror movies!

Book Nick thinks money spent on movies would be better spent on books - novels in particular. He reads not nearly enough; he collects way too much!

The obsessions of Book Nick and Movie Nick merged into Filmmaker Nick.

                               Bryan Stamp, Brieanna Yniguez & Scott Richards in "Betrayal"

Okay, enough with the multiple personality b*******!

My goal has always been to earn a living making independent films. Being paid to nap is honestly a very distant second.

In addition to being co-Executive Producer of ​9 Ways to Hell​, I wrote, produced, and directed the "​Betrayal​" and wrap-around segments.

I fell in love with Dante when I read ​The Divine Comedy​ as a teen. In the ‘90s, I started to write a script loosely based on The Inferno​, but abandoned it shortly after writing "Fade In." Years later, I fell in with a uniquely productive group of filmmakers, and ​Inferno ​blazed back into my consciousness. With my lead actress, producing partner, and fiendish friend Lacey Rae, we decided to bring together the talented creatives we knew, and make a horror anthology inspired by the nine circles of Dante's Hell.

Interview by Nick Dragon

Edited by

William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment