Monday, September 7

Nine Ways to Hell Interview Three: Lacy Rae, Executive Producer


 Lacey Rae is an Executive Producer of  ​9 Way​s to Hell,​ ​and an actress in ​Betrayal​.

At left:   Scott Richards and Lacey Rae in "Betrayal"

My name is Lacey, and I’m one of the Executive Producers of (and an actor in) ​9 Ways to Hell​.

I am a horror fanatic! My parents back in the Bay Area, where I’m originally from, taught me to love Halloween at a very young age, and it’s only progressed from there.

And I’ve always been quite the ham! I started early, at [age] four, I think, tap dancing, singing, and acting, so creating a horror film was a perfect fit.

In pursuing my acting career, I, fortunately, met a group of like-minded, goal-oriented, and just fantastically creative people in a guerrilla filmmakers group here in Hollywood. We made several short films together, and then, one day, Nick and I were talking about how to progress, and we came up with an anthology that could combine several filmmakers’ visions, as well as be a coherent whole. Many anthologies take a given theme and scatter [it] to the wind; we really tried HARD to thread all of the stories together while allowing each writer/director creative freedom [in] their segments. Look out for the small details!

As an actor, I got to work with Nick on ​"Betrayal"​ and the interstitial segments. Working with Nick is always a blessing, even if it entails running around the woods with a sword, getting sprayed in the face with blood, or actually falling when my shoe broke during filming - nice scrapes and bruises that time!

I couldn’t have asked for a better rock while working on this crazy project. Nick always has my back as a Director, and, during shooting, he allowed me to be vulnerable and scared and, ultimately, broken. And the narrative he wrote for ​"Betrayal"​ (especially in a scene during the climax of the segment) really hits close to home as an actor. The feeling of not reaching your dreams, betraying your true self, is one I know well, so it was both easy and difficult to tap into those emotions during filming, since it felt very raw. I hope it comes across in the film!

Interview by Lacy Rae

Edited by

William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment