Friday, January 3

Interview with Justin Kazuo Bahniuk

I met Justin on the set of a Triscuit commercial in which he was a background extra.  A pleasant, intelligent fellow, he was also unusually tall and whiskered for an Asian man.

WMV:  When and where were you born?

Justin: I was born on March 9th 1976; I am from Lamoni, Iowa.

WMV:  What city and State do you live in?

Justin:  I live in Los Angeles, California.

WMV:  What, if anything, would you like to tell the world about your parents, siblings, children, significant others, and/or other friends and  relatives?

Justin:  My dad was a child psychologist; my mom was a Japanese language professor; my sister is an engineer.  My mom is from Niigata, Japan, and my dad was from Brooklyn, New York.  My dad passed away two years ago.

WMV:  What Internet links would you like to share?

Justin: 

http://www.pinterest.com/efyall/,
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4254116,
https://www.resume.com/bahniuk/justin-bahniuks-resume,
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxyTz0LWfzSkgihMK5GaLhg,
http://www.gettyimages.com/music/artists/93063-justin-bahniuk,
http://www.broadjam.com/artists/songs.php?artistID=98242&mediaID=615032

WMV:  Is "efyall" in your e-mail address (efyall@gmail.com) and on your Pinterest page short for "f*** you all"?

Justin:  Yeah.

WMV:  Your Pinterest page indicates you have an interest in tattoos.  What tattoos, if any, do you have?

Justin:  I have one crummy tattoo on my right shoulder.  The tattoo is called a "Mayan Hawk" (or, at least, that's what the tattoo artist called it).  I am very interested in tattoos, and I hope to get a half sleeve.  Lately I've been really interested in tattoos by Marcin Aleksander Surowiec.
WMV:  Your Pinterest page indicates you have an interest in beer.  What are your favorite beers, and why?

Justin:  I love Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier.  It's a very old, smoked beer.  It has a completely unique taste, and it doesn't follow the extreme "hoppy" trend that many beers are following now-a-days.


WMV:  Your Pinterest page indicates you have an interest in "Japanese stuff."  Are you Japanese?

Justin:  Half Japanese and half Ukranian...

WMV:  Your Pinterest page indicates you have an interest in "shoes [your] girl friend would like."  Who is your girl friend, and how did you meet her?

Justin:  My girlfriend is a Fourth Grade teacher.  She grew up in Hermosa.  She gets real tired of my fascination with tennis shoes, so naturally I had to name the board after her.


WMV:  Your IMDb page indicates that you've been composing music for film and television since 2010.  How do you, personally, go about composing music?

Justin:  The old fashioned way, with a computer!

WMV:  What instruments do you play?

Justin:  I can play marimba with four mallets, trap set, timpani, ethnic drums, etcetera.  I was a Percussion Performance Major in college, so I can play anything you beat on pretty well.  I also play some piano and guitar.

WMV:  Do you participate in any live, musical productions this time of year (Christmas)?

Justin:  I don't participate in anything, but I would like to check out "Tuba Christmas."  

I don't really have a favorite Christmas carol, but "Christmas in Hollis," by Run-D.M.C., is one of my favorite holiday jams.

WMV:  Your resumé indicates that you worked as a retail manager at The Grove.  Who were some of your most interesting, favorite, and least favorite customers?

Justin:  It was a great location to work at, and I was very happy with my time there.  All my customers were great, but I am glad that I've moved away from that profession and began to pursue acting and music full time.

WMV:  Your resumé indicates that you graduated from the Musicians Institute Of America in Los Angeles, California, May 2007 with a "Certificate."  Do you have a college degree, and, if so, in what?

Justin:  I don't have a degree, but I attended college for too many years.  Just figured it was time to start making music instead of studying it.
WMV:  Your resumé mentions "DAW's."  What are "DAW's"?

Justin:  Digital Audio Workstations...  Computer programs to write music...

WMV:  Your resumé indicates that you attended Graceland University, in Lamoni, Iowa.  Why did you move to Los Angeles?

Justin:  I moved to L.A. because I saw The Big Lebowski.  "What are you, a f****** park ranger now?"

WMV:  Your resumé indicates that you like orchestra and jazz music.  Are you a fan of The Electric Light Orchestra?

Justin:  I PLAYED both orchestral and jazz music, but alas, I am not a fan.  E.L.O, which isn't classical music, is pretty cool.

WMV:  Who are some of your favorite celebrities, including actors, athletes, and politicians, as well as musicians?

Justin:  [English artist and occultist] Austin Osman Spare, [Italian film director] Pier Paolo Pasolini, [English cross-genre, experimental music group] Coil, [American aerospace engineer Elbert Leander] "Burt" Rutan, [English industrial designer] Ross Lovegrove...

I really enjoy reading about L.A.'s occult people.  The older generations...  People like Kenneth Anger, Jack Parsons, Marjorie Cameron, L. Ron Hubbard, and even The Solar Lodge...  They really should make a movie about it.  Not a documentary, but a narrative with CGI's and high priced production work...  Maybe Terry Gilliam would direct it.  By the way, Scientology has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.  As far as what do I practice?  I just do meditations when I'm at home.  My mom is Shinto and I spent many hours while I was growing up meditating at the shrine in my grandparents house.  Now I'm fascinated with conscious “out of body experiences.”  I feel this is where all your occult answers lie.  I've been doing the Wave series’ guided meditations by the Monroe Institute off and on now for a couple years.  I love them.  When I'm on film sets I do a lot of visualization practices.  Get them Chakras spinning!!!!

WMV:  Your resumé indicates that you worked as a manager in a luxury eyeglass store until 2010.  Where did you go from there?

Justin:  Began pursuing music full time...

WMV:  Who would you recommend someone buy eyeglasses from in Los Angeles now-a-days?

Justin:  There's a store on Venice that's really good; I can't remember their name.  The Sama store [www.samaeyewear.net] in Beverly Hills is really good, too.

WMV:  Your YouTube Channel seems to indicate that you like to play video games.  What are some of your favorite video games?

Justin:  Team Fortress 2!  I go by "Jhon Balance" on Steam.

"Jhon" is misspelled on purpose.  His real name is Geoff Rushton, but he went by John Balance; then, right before he died, he changed it to "Jhon Balance."


I titled my Steam profile after Jhon in his honor.  I figured I would kick so much a** in Team Fortress 2 that some little kid would eventually Google the name and, in turn, learn about the esoteric music of Coil.  No luck yet!
I'm not a member of Coil, but I did correspond with Peter Christopherson before he died.  Unfortunately, both members of Coil (Jhon Balance and Peter Christopherson) are now dead.  Peter Christopherson was a member of a design team called "Hipgnosis."  It was a small company, but they went on to design some of the most influential rock album covers of all time, including [Pink Floyd's] The Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, [as well as Led Zepplin's] Houses of the Holy, etcetera.  Peter Christopherson also invented "sampling" while he was in a band called Throbbing Gristle, back in the Seventies.  "Sampling" revolutionized the music industry.  I wouldn't be able to write the music I do if it wasn't for "sampling." A huge percentage of musicians out there wouldn't be who they are if it wasn't for "sampling" technology.  Just one of the many reasons why I hold Coil in such high regard!
Sampling is digitally recording a sound, then having the ability to instantaneously play it back.  NOT the same as recording a sound on your tape recorder then rewinding the tape and pressing play to hear it!  You can record each individual note on a ukulele played by an actual musician, then insert the recordings into a computer where it matches up each individual note to corresponding keys on the piano.  Then, every time you push a key on the piano, it will instantaneously play the note you recorded by the ukulele player.  Most people use a little keyboard that plugs into a USB port in your computer.  Different notes will trigger different recordings.  This is great for someone who doesn't play the ukulele but does play the piano, or who can construct chord progressions easier on the piano.   The first commercial samplers were by an Australian company called "Fairlight", BUT the invention of sampling was done by Peter Christopherson and Chris Carter, rigging an old Apple computer to perform the operation.  

WMV:  What music, if any, have you composed for any video games?

Justin:  I haven't composed music for any video games, but my band, "Trestles", did submit a C.D. of our music to a video game company.  Unfortunately, none of it was picked up.
WMV:  Your LinkedIn page has a list of links, apparently to recordings of your music; it is the only LinkedIn page I've ever encountered which I would call "cool!"  Do you use your own recordings for cell phone ring tones?

Justin:  I'm not really sure where most of my music goes to.  I sell it to various music production companies and music production libraries.  They find clients who want to buy it.  Ultimately, I find out where my music goes when I get paperwork from A.S.C.A.P. [The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, www.ascap.com].

WMV:  Your BroadJam page lists two songs:  "Seething Toward You" and "Cram it Buddy."  Are you usually angry when you compose music, and, if so, what are you angry about?

Justin:  Hahaha!  No, I'm not angry.  That type of music just fits with a ton of different stuff, so it's basically what I write.

WMV:  Are you familiar with an electronic keyboard with settings for ukelele and/or bagpipes?

Justin:  Yes, although you can never beat the real thing.

Bagpipes shouldn't be a problem.  You can probably find something by Native Instruments that will cover that.  The ukulele may be a little tougher because of the strumming involved.  If you just wanted individual notes of the ukulele then you could sample them (see previous question and answer), but what makes the ukulele nice is the chords and the way you strum it.  I'm not sure who makes a good ukulele plug-in; it's a very popular instrument now; I'm sure someone will come out with a good one soon if they haven't already.

WMV:  Your IMDb page indicates you have composed music for numerous episodes of "Fact or Faked."  What are some of the most memorable things which were "fact or faked"?

Justin:  Funny you mentioned that...  I've looked up all those episodes of "Fact or Faked" on YouTube, and I can't tell where they are using any of my music, but A.S.C.A.P. says it's in there, so I guess it is.
I've actually never watched the show - just cued up the time spots on YouTube to try to identify my music.  I did watch "The Ten," which is a top ten countdown show on the Speed channel.  I think they have a top ten Daytona moments and a Rusty Wallace episode if you're interested in checking it out.  They used my cue for the theme song of the series.  It was awesome!!!!!
WMV:  Your IMDb page also indicates that you composed music for various episodes of  "The Ten" and "Car Science."  Were you a fan of the late Paul Walker?

Justin:  I just found out who he was.

WMV:  Can you execute a Tokyo drift?

Justin:  Probably, if I practiced at it...  My car kicks ass!  I have a 1991 Honda Prelude S.I.  I love it!  Car of my dreams!  Sport Injection, and I use it!!!!


WMV:  What foreign languages do you speak?

Justin:  Sadly, none...

WMV:  Your IMDb page also indicates that you composed music for various episodes of  "The Known Universe."  Where have you traveled to?

Justin:  Japan many times...  Montreal, which is one of my favorite cities...  New York, Mexico, most of western Europe...

WMV:  Where haven't you been to, that you would like to visit?

Justin:  Brittany, France!

The weather seems mild, and the seafood looks delicious.  Good enough reasons for me to travel there or anywhere for that matter, hahahaha...


WMV:  How, if at all, did you celebrate the birth of Christ this year?

Justin:  Tuba Christmas! [www.tubachristmas.com, tubachristmasla.com]


WMV:  How did you celebrate Hannukah this year?

Justin:  Spinning a dreidel...  A dreidel is top.  A spinning top...  One of the gifts during Hanukkah...


WMV:  What are your New Year's Resolutions?

Justin:  To wear more beige!  I try to wear brighter colors.  Black tends to make me look very pale.  White is a good color for me, but not good for on camera.  I think many people forget about the color beige.  Slides by the waistline and doesn't cause any problems...  Poor guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment