Friday, December 8

Interview With Film Producer Nicholas Gyeney


Josh Mitchell referred Nicholas Gyeney to us, and he granted us this interview.

La Libertad:  Where are you from?

Nicholas:  My family is originally from Hungary, and I currently reside in Santa Monica, California.

[At left, Nicholas Gyeney and Sean Young]

La Libertad:  How did you get your start in film?

Nicholas:  My father introduced me to movies, and every weekend we watched movies together, until he died, suddenly, when I was twelve years old. Eventually, I began using movies as an escape, and realized how much they helped me cope with the grief. It wasn’t long until I decided I wanted to make my own films, one day, to hopefully help someone else, somewhere in the world, cope with theirs.

La Libertad:  Of what accomplishment are you most proud?

Nicholas:  I think it has to be the overall journey. I’m thirty-seven years old, and have produced and directed eight feature films.

La Libertad:  Where did you get the idea for your new horror movie, The Activated Man?

Nicholas:  My own dog Louis (Louie), was like a son to me. When he died from cancer, the trauma I experienced eventually led me to develop this story. Maybe it was therapy in a way. I think all my films have been, in some sense.

La Libertad:  What would you like to tell our readers about your upcoming festival screenings?

Nicholas:  Dances With Films is an exciting one. The Activated Man [was] the Closing Night Film for the festival on December 3rd, which is quite an honor. I also have a screening coming up as the Closing Film for the Northeast Film Festival’s Horror Fest, and there the film is nominated for several awards, including Best Director and Best Feature, which is, again, quite an honor. Before the holiday break, we also [screened] at the Culver City Film Festival, on December 6th, and [will screen at] the Santa Clarita International Film Festival, on December 8th.

La Libertad:  What is your favorite classic scary movie and why?

Nicholas:  My personal favorite is Wes Craven’s New Nightmare. To me it was a beautifully crafted and executed film, and I love how aggressive and angry Freddy was in that film.

La Libertad:  What are you most looking forward to, in 2024?

Nicholas:  The theatrical release of The Activated Man!

La Libertad:  What are your career goals?

Nicholas:  If I can continue this path, and continue making films as a career, they could be big or small, I’d be more than happy with that.

La Libertad:  What links would you like to share?

Nicholas:  

Facebook: Facebook.com/theactivatedmanmovie

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?

Nicholas:  The movie is a unique blend of genres. While it’s certainly a supernatural horror film, it’s equally an emotional drama about grief and loss. 

Edited by William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment