Wednesday, May 31

Interview With Philip La Croix


Josh Mitchell introduced us to Philip La Croix, and he was gracious enough to grant us this interview.

La Libertad:  Where are you from?

Philip:  I currently reside in Phoenix, Arizona, but [I am] originally from Oceanside, California.

La Libertad:  How did you get your start in writing?

Philip:  I've always been a performer. I even graduated with my B.A. [Bachelor of Arts degree] in theatre, from California State University - Fullerton. I became interested in reading very late, but the passion grew rapidly. One day, I had a very vivid dream, and decided I had to get it down on paper. I found that writing stories was the ultimate acting experience because you have to become and think like the characters you write, and, if done right, [they] eventually take on a life of their own - all while telling an enthralling story of what's happening to them.

La Libertad:  Of what accomplishment are you most proud?

Philip:  I'm definitely most proud of the fact that I became a Knight for Medieval Times. It has been a wonderful experience that I had to work hard to achieve, and [it] scratches my performer's itch with every show. I started back in 2008, and have been unable to give it up because it's just too much fun!

La Libertad:  What prerequisites and requirements did you need to meet, in order to become a Medieval Times Knight?

Philip:  There are a lot of prerequisites you have to meet in order to become a knight, and...I had at least one [more,] extra layer to go through than my coworkers.

I didn't even start off in that department when I got accepted into the company. I was hired as a sound and lighting technician. For my first day they had me sit down and watch the show, and I thought to myself, "I want to do that." It took me a few months to get transferred down there before I could even begin to train. Then, I had to learn to be a squire, which is basically a stagehand for the knights (getting horses ready, bringing them down, handing them weapons, et cetera). When I was finally accepted into knight training, I had to learn how to fight the way Medieval Times instructs; then I had to not only learn to ride a horse, but to joust and jump off at a full run. I did all of this while earning my Bachelors degree at California State University Fullerton. I trained hard for months, both mentally and physically, before I became a knight, and even after that, I still had to continue to work hard to rise through the ranks and be cleared to do all the different knight spots in the show. It was exhausting and very trying to my body, but it was also a labor of love. This is certainly the most fun job I have ever had, and, even after earning my B.A. in the theatre arts, I had to keep going because I love it so much. Even now, as I try to shift my career focus over to writing, I plan to continue with Medieval as a fun side job.

La Libertad:  What else would you like to tell our readers about your experience as a Knight in Medieval Times?

Philip:  I absolutely love it! It has given me many wonderful stories throughout the years, and has definitely opened doors for me that might have otherwise remained closed.

La Libertad:  Where did you get the idea for your new novel, The Best Laid Traps?

Philip:  Like the main character, I was bullied in school for being "the fat kid." I was reading The Count of Monte Cristo for the umpteenth time, and thought, "If I had an immense fortune, how would I go about getting back at the people who'd bullied me?"

La Libertad:  What inspires you?

Philip:  Random thoughts pop into my head, and either I have gotten an idea for a new story, or another part of a current story has just been revealed. When these thoughts occur, it's kind of like being hypnotized because, all of the sudden, I'll come out of these musings, and have huge chunks of time missing. They say that writing is less of an act of creating everything in your stories, but rather watching what happens in your head, and writing the events down exactly as you saw them. I certainly agree!

La Libertad:  Do you have your next book in the works and, if so, what is it about?

Philip:  I do! It centers around the characters from L. Frank Baum's original novel...The Wizard of Oz. It takes place many years after the story, and paints a different picture of what happened at the end of L. Frank Baum's version. Instead of sending her home, Glinda traps Dorothy to keep her in stasis while she deals with a mysterious gloom or poisoning of the Land of Oz, stemming from the great wizard himself. Glinda disappears, and Dorothy finally breaks out and has to take up Glinda's mantle to try and put everything back to rights. It's kind of like Wizard of Oz meets Shutter Island, and has been very exciting to write because it has so many huge twists and turns, and an ending that I think will blow your mind; at least, it did for me.

La Libertad:  What are your overall career goals?

Philip:  I hope to make writing my full time career because I have so many stories left to tell, and, hopefully, I can continue with Medieval as a fun side gig.

La Libertad:  What links would you like to share?

Philip:  To buy a copy of my book (paperback, ebook, or audiobook):

https://a.co/d/5EyTaMi

For more about me, or to come along, on my journey through social media:

https://www.facebook.com/Philip.Lacroix06

https://www.instagram.com/philip.lacroix_

https://www.philiplacroix.com

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?

Philip:  Your time is your most valuable asset, and I would consider it a great honor if you came along with me on any or all of my adventures!

 Edited by William Mortensen Vaughan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment