Monday, December 21

Interview: Josh Mitchell, Author of Germ of a New Insanity

 

Josh Mitchell is a publicist at PUB.LIE.SIZE; he is also the author of a book, which he apparently started selling this month (December, 2020). It's titled Germ of a New Insanity.

La Libertad:  What is your new book about? 

Josh:  The story follows the turbulent journey of an underground writer from Boston who launches a revolutionary new movement called "s***-house poetry." As the leader of "The Dukes of Damage," his mission is this:  to spread his art onto every open square inch of public space (restrooms, walls, bus shelters) he can find, and, in so doing, change the world. As he ranges through the streets of the city and applies twisted literary vines dressed in urban code, he morphs into the next great media darling but quickly sinks in a cesspool of his own making. 

This is A Confederacy of Dunces meets Tropic of Cancer.   

La Libertad:  Where can people buy the book?

Josh:  To not line the pockets of Amazon and Jeff Bezos, I decided to go the independent route, and release the novel on my own. 

You can buy a $10 digital copy or a signed, first edition paperback directly, through me, by sending $20, via PayPal (Friends & Family) [to] mitchmitchell24@hotmail.com 

La Libertad:  What would you like to tell our readers about your early life?

Josh:  I spent my younger years in an urban apartment complex called Rockland Place, twenty-five miles south of Boston. This shaped a lot of who I became as a person. Me and my friends didn’t have a lot of money, so we recycled cans, and used the cash to play games at the carnival. One time, I won a small basketball, so we stacked the rusty carriages behind K-Mart, and created our own rustic court. After my parents split, I moved to an affluent town named Hingham. My life became more stable; I turned to athletics as an outlet, and I was crowned Homecoming King in high school. 

La Libertad:  How did you end up in entertainment? 

Josh:  My journey started over fifteen years ago when I made a zombie action film called Roid Rage, in Massachusetts, and traveled out to the Sundance Film Festival, to promote it. I learned how to navigate the festival circuit, and network with the biggest trailblazers in the indie film world. 

My experience led me to launch a P.R. [public relations] company, and I have represented a wide range of talented filmmakers from across the globe. My niche is securing interview opportunities, pitching projects to studio executives, and encouraging working synergy and creative collaboration.

La Libertad:  What's the most interesting thing that has happened to you since you began your career? 

Josh:  I’ve had several run-ins with Harvey Weinstein at the Sundance Film Festival and I’ve had to dodge him like a Covid-infested game of Frogger

La Libertad:  What's the biggest mistake you made, and what did you learn from it? 

Josh:  I learned my biggest lesson at the West Coast launch party of my company, at The W Hotel, in Hollywood. I had the sketchy owner of a modeling magazine reach out to be a part of it, and I didn’t do my due diligence. He invited a celebrated soap star, and tried to pin her limo costs on me. I confronted him on it, and the next day this anonymous post appeared on this incredibly unconstitutional and anonymous site called “Rip Off Report.” It was a blatant and vindictive attempt to cut me out at the knees, right out the gate - right from the start of my plight in Los Angeles. It didn’t work, though, because of my Harvey dodging skills, and because “those who throw mud, lose ground.” Oh, and because I made a movie about the whole experience:  Helen Keller Had a Pit Bull

La Libertad:  Why do you think it's important to have diversity represented in film and television?  

Josh:  Films and T.V. need to be a mirror to society. If we want to attempt to capture the complexities of the world in an authentic manner, we need to showcase and highlight diversity in our content. It’s important to reveal the intricacies of different cultures so we can transport to lands we have never traveled to and empathize with people we have never known. For instance, take the film Beasts of the Southern Wild. It whisks you away to [a] Louisiana bayou, and reveals the challenges of a community, the uniqueness of their cuisine, [and] the reliance on trusted neighbors. It’s a journey and an educational escape you can have from your living room and, at the end of it, you come back as a more well-rounded and compassionate person. 

La Libertad:  What do you wished you knew before you started your career?

Josh:  It has been a challenging yet rewarding excursion in Hollywood. I haven’t been able to take my foot off the gas pedal since I arrived. I wish someone told me that it would be a constant battle, and that you must be constantly creating and networking. I’ve seen L.A. spit people out in a New York hot minute. It’s imperative to be a renaissance person. You must find multiple streams of income, cultivate supportive friendships, and do whatever it takes to stay afloat while you chase your dreams like one of those intrepid ghosts from Pac-Man

La Libertad:  What advice do you have for other people in entertainment? 

Josh:  It’s imperative, no matter where you live, to find a solid balance in your work life. Fortunately, there’s no better spot in the country than Los Angeles in terms of being able to beat the street for a much-needed road trip. In less than a few hours, you can watch the “pink glow” in the spiritual vortex of Ojai, or channel the spirit of Sinatra as you eat fresh sushi from Sandbox in downtown Palm Springs. If you are ambitious, you could ski Big Bear and head down the mountain and jump in the Pacific Ocean off the Santa Monica Pier. The only peace you find on mountain tops is the peace you bring there. 

La Libertad:  If you could inspire a movement, what would it be? 

Josh:  I would be president of the Passion Project. Do what you love, and do it in the most exciting way possible. [Help] people, as that will help you feel good about what you are doing. Without passion, we are a tree without bark, a house left undone when the financing dries up. Take your space and own it, even when the world doesn’t want to make space for you. Be that rebellious rose that blooms between the crusty cracks of the pavement. 

La Libertad:  What is your favorite quote? 

Josh:  My mantra is: Good things come to those who initiate - not wait. Your creative savior is not coming, so don’t wait for a knock on your door; knock doors down. Everything good that has happened in my life is because I wasn’t afraid to go out, take a chance, and see what unfolds. If you do it from a point of passion, you will not regret your decision. 

La Libertad:  Who would you love to have a private meal with, and why?

Josh:  I’m trying to convince Ben Affleck to partner with me on my new, dramatic T.V. series “Brood Stock.” I have Apple TV on the hook, but I need final packaging to get "the green light."

[Colt] is the owner of Brood Stock Seafood, a thriving lobster wholesaler that's been operating on the Maine Coast for over twenty years, [but it has fallen] victim to the international trade war with China. He used to sell one out of five lobsters to Beijing, but once the President implemented a tariff (and China retaliated with their own twenty-five percent tax), they stopped buying immediately.  

The blow is significant for Colt and for Maine, the country's top producer and exporter. The state's lobstermen had found a lucrative market in China, where consumer demand had grown exponentially in recent years. Often called "Boston lobster" it is featured as a special treat for Chinese New Year or the mid-autumn festival, stir-fried in a chili-crab sauce, or eaten raw as sashimi. 

The president has handed Canada the United States' $1.5 billion lobster industry. 

With his profit margin cut out at the knees, and a recent opiate epidemic decaying his community, Colt is forced to rethink his business model so he can continue to support his family's lavish lifestyle. But before he can pivot and digest his changing landscape, tragedy strikes and causes him to abandon all ethics, and to follow his patriarchal instincts. 

This is “Ozark” meets “Breaking Bad," and it has the potential to be the next water cooler show.

La Libertad:  How can our readers follow you online? 

Josh:  You can follow me on my main website (www.publiesize.com), and learn more about my new novel on its official Facebook page:

www.facebook.com/Germ-of-a-New-Insanity-103337411648642 

Introduction by William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment