Saturday, June 11

Interview With Juston Graber

Juston Graber
Juston Graber
Josh Mitchell of Wickid Pissa Publicity introduced us to Juston Roy Graber as "an L.A.-based, non-union actor, represented by Margaret Guiraud at Midwest TalentJosh tells us that Juston "studies at the University of Southern California (U.S.C.) – pursuing a Bachelor of Arts [Degree] in Theatre with an Acting Emphasis," and "polishing various acting techniques, including [Sanford] Meisner, Uta Hagen, and [Anton Pavlovich] Chekhov, under the guidance of actor Jeremiah O'Brian

"Juston has also [been taking] classes with... Kathleen Dunn-Muzingo, who has coached for various television series, including 'The Last Ship,' 'How to Get Away with Murder,' as well as recognizable films such as Marvel's
The Avengers.

"Additionally," Josh tells us, "Juston was cast [as
Elroy] in a New Works play," titled The Vending Machine, written by Rebin Zangana, and directed by Edward Padilla."  Elroy is, according to Josh, "a father figure who hopes and dreams for his son's success and happiness – something that Elroy has not, nor will ever obtain."
 

Furthermore, Josh claims that Juston "has donated various amounts of money towards independent projects, including... 'The Convicted'":

vimeo.com/135644476

and the feature film Range 15.

According to Josh, Juston graduated from high school in 2003, then joined the United States Army, which deployed him four times in eight years, in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.  Juston held the rank of Staff Sergeant (Pay Grade E-6), and
served as a Squad Leader.

Juston is known for his role as Dale Grayden in "
By the Book" (2012), as well as his lead and supporting roles in "Padlock" (2014), and
Beyond the Call of Duty (2016).


La Libertad:  Where were you born?

Juston:  Buffalo, New York, which is why I don't watch football.  Ugh, come on, Bills Four Super Bowls in a row - lost!

La Libertad:  Where do you currently reside?

Juston:  Los Angeles, California.

La Libertad:  What do you love most about acting?

Juston:  After all of the preparation that is required – building a character, generating background information, script analysis, research, imagery, object work, et cetera – throwing all of it away to live truthfully within the moment is what I love most about acting.

La Libertad:  What would you like to tell our readers about your latest project?

Juston:  I was cast in a play at U.S.C. [University of Southern California's] School of Dramatic Arts [titled], "The Vending Machine," written by M.F.A. [Master of Fine Arts] writer Rebin Zangana.  The play was a part of U.S.C.'s New Works festival, which allows M.F.A. students, along with the B.F.A. [Bachelor of Fine Arts], B.A. [Bachelor of Arts], and M.F.A. actors, to work with reputable directors.  The school brought in Actor/Director Edward Padilla to direct the play.  We had an ensemble of eight actors, all playing very significant roles that centered on a vending machine at a motel.  It was a coming-of-age "dramedy," where each character experiences some kind of growth by the end.  


I played the role of Elroy, a father with an eating disorder, who hopes and dreams for his son's success.  This role required extensive research on pancreatitis, which was what Eddie and I agreed to be my physical impairment for the character; in addition to wearing a fat-suit, the research I did allowed me to connect with Elroy both physically and psychologically.  There was an emotional scene towards the end of the play that I was able to reach by imbuing one of the objects (a "Number One Soccer Dad" pin) that the Properties Master, Marissa DeMore made for the character.  I truly love the collaboration aspect involved within each of these storytelling mediums – Theater, Film, and Television; there is a sense of gratification when it all comes together.
  
La Libertad:  What inspires your performances?

Juston:  I believe that inspiration changes from time to time.  It really depends on the type of performance I am doing.  I often get cast to play the "bad guy," due to my dark hair and eyes.  The message of the overall story is what I find inspiring me to act in these roles because, without them, the stories would not work; nor would there be a strong message.  It is important to keep an open and objective mind; there is where I find my utmost inspiration to perform.

La Libertad: What is the hardest part about auditioning?

Juston:  I do still have trouble with cold reads because you are not given enough time to really dive into the work and the characters' state of mind.  That is something I need to really work on.

I have found that auditioning has become easier and easier each year.  The nerves still come from time to time, but I have learned to channel them into whatever energy I need for the scene.

I attended a seminar with Chris Game, and I learned that auditioning really comes down to being prepared and giving the Casting Directors a menu to choose from.  When they ask, "Can you do that again?" they do not want to see you play the part the exact same way; they want to see something new, and trust that you have thought of different ways to portray the character.

Bryan Cranston was recently brought to our school and said something about auditioning that I have been implementing since hearing his words.  I cannot quote him verbatim, but he [said] something to the effect [that] treating every audition not as an audition, but as an opportunity to act.  Do your homework, and share what you have come up with; then leave it at that.

La Libertad:  Where have you traveled?

Juston:  Well, I joined the Army when I was seventeen.  I've been up and down the East Coast for training, including New York, Georgia, and North Carolina.  My first duty station was at Fort Campbell (101st Airborne Division) with Charlie Company, Third Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, also known as the "Rakkasans" [Japanese for "falling down umbrella men," after they parachuted into Japan during World War II].  After two deployments (Sinjar and Samarra, Iraq), I moved (Permanent Change of Station) to Fort Drum, New York, and was assigned to the Headquarters Support Company of the Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion (yes, Headquarters AND Headquarters, I know, sounds weird), Tenth Mountain [Light Infantry] Division.  I was deployed to Baghdad, Iraq, and once more, to Kandahar, Afghanistan.


I separated from the Army in 2012, and moved back home to Buffalo for a year, then started school in Savannah, Georgia, at the Savannah College of Art and Design.  I then made the move to Los Angeles, in April 2014, as I transferred to the University of Southern California.  There are many great places to be for acting:  New York, New Orleans, Atlanta, et cetera, but I choose Los Angeles for many reasons.  You can't beat the weather here, for one.

La Libertad:  What are your overall career goals?

Juston:  My number one career goal is to remain humble, no matter how successful I become.

La Libertad:  What new projects do you have in "the pipeline"?

Juston:  I have recently been picked up to be featured in a Breezeway Productions film [titled] 46 Bay, written and directed by Alex Helisek, that explores hazing within a fraternity environment, and what pledges go through in order to join a frat house [fraternity].

I am also working on various student projects, on the side, that continue to challenge and hone my craft as an artist.  I will be playing a guest-star role in "The Stakeout," written by Matt Nordstrom, a Marine Veteran and U.S.C. Business major.

Additionally, fellow actor, Casey Dunn and I co-founded an improvisation troupe called prettyNOTbad Comedy Squad where we perform free improv [improvisation] and sketch shows on U.S.C.'s campus, at E.F. [Edward Francis] Hutton Park.  I [am including] the... shared social media links, so next fall semester, if anybody wants to come, you are totally welcome to watch and have a good time.  


We try to have a guest improviser at least once a month from the surrounding L.A. improv spots, including [the] Upright Citizen's Brigade, Second City, and [the] Groundlings.  We have had Johnny "ThreeNutz" [Jenkinson], Cody Ziglar, and Rob Gentile come to coach and perform with our troupe so far.

La Libertad:  What social media links would you like to share?
Juston Graber
Juston Graber


Juston:

www.instagram.com/justonrgraber

www.twitter.com/JustonRGraber

www.facebook.com/pretty-NOT-bad-Comedy-Squad-551036811731369

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to share with our readers?

Juston:  Aspire indefinitely.


Introduction by Josh Mitchell and William Mortensen Vaughan

1 comment:

  1. This guy sounds like he's going places. I'm keeping my eye on his acting career without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete