Wednesday, April 1

Interview With J.D. Glassock

J.D. Glassock
Josh Mitchell of Wicked Pissa Publicity introduced us to J.D. Glassock as his "director client" and "owner of StormCrow Productions:

(www.stormcrowproductions.com)

Josh tells us that "J.D. Glasscock started as a slam poet on a few prominent national teams in 1990... moved on [a few years later] to being the lead singer of a blues rock band called Sofa King, which lasted ten years."

"Although he still writes both lyrics and poetry," Josh tells us, J.D. "evolved to screenwriting and directing with a special emphasis on lighting - specifically, noir lighting.  He moved to Los Angeles in 2010 to finally pursue those aspirations.  He currently has five completed short films which can be seen at:

"Doors & Windows" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIEaoPMUoDw

"Blade and Blood" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uHa11_t72o

"Burning Cigarettes" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcHbQbNNo78

"Shadows of the Moon" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMoiW1THCFU

"The Divide Between Love and Breath" - 


www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TTGpZKNJ0c
 

Currently, he is directing the series "My Misfits."

J.D. is also trying to finance his first feature film, a western, titled Lonesome Hill.  Josh says J.D. has completed three feature film scripts and has "a slew of others in the works."  In addition to his film-making - J.D. has thirteen self-published books on Lulu:

www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=JD+Glasscock&type=

If you would like to hire J.D. to direct your short film or music video, or if you would like to employ him as a writer, you are welcome to write to him at:


liquidbard@yahoo.com 

La Libertad:  Where were you born?  

J.D.:  I was born and raised in Costa Mesa, California, though I left right after high school, to begin my journey as an artist and poet, and [I] just came back to Los Angeles in 2010 - right [in] time for my Twenty-Year High School Reunion.
La Libertad:  Where do you currently reside?
J.D.:  I  live in Sylmar, California - a lovely, quiet neighborhood in "the Valley" [San Fernando Valley].

La Libertad:  What is your occupation?
J.D.:  I am a filmmaker.  I currently have five short films shot - several currently in festival runs.  I also have been hired several times to write other people's scripts in addition to writing songs for bands, as well as lighting or shooting other shorts and/or music videos.

La Libertad:  What do you love most about your work? 
J.D.:  I studied directing and lighting for eight years with a special emphasis on Noir Lighting before shooting my first film, and I believe because of that choice, I have been garnering accolades for my films right out of the gate.  I love every aspect of writing and film-making, seeing what I envisioned burgeon into reality on a screen, and move people's spirits.  I have been humbled by people's reactions, and blessed to have already won awards with my directorial debut and first festival:

"Burning Cigarettes," Best Produced Screenplay - Short; WAB [Without a Box] Best Actress in Feature or Short (Vicky Dalli); and Runner-Up Best Guerrilla Short in Action on Film Festival 2014

I now have been accepted in another festival, NOVA [the Northern Virginia International Film Festival], with two of my shorts, and asked to be [in] an online short film contest by First Glance Festival.  So beautiful!

La Libertad:  What talents and hobbies do you have? 
J.D.:  I have been writing and performing for twenty-five years, starting out as a slam poet on national teams back in 1990.  I am an avid gamer and reader, and have been since I was young.  I even have my own P.V.P. [Player vs. Playher], turn-based video game design - Totalitarium, Road to Blood.
La Libertad:  What inspires you? 
J.D.:  Honor, truth, raw art with no filter and beautiful spirits...

La Libertad:  What is the hardest part of your job(s)? 
J.D.:  Getting funding.  I have been able to accomplish what I have accomplished with 500 to 600 dollar budgets.  I can't wait till I secure real funding for my first feature where my imagination is free unshackled.
La Libertad:  What foreign languages, if any, do you read, write, and/or speak?
J.D.: Not applicable...
La Libertad:  Where have you traveled? 
J.D.:  Right after high school, I felt to be an artist I needed to wander not knowing anyone, having very little money, so I did such, living in a state for a couple years, getting a waiter job, finding a bar with my beat up ole P.A. [Public Address system] and starting an open mic before picking up and moving onto the next state.  So, I have lived in Utah, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, and now back to california.
La Libertad:  What are your career goals? 
J.D.:  My career goal is to not stop till I reach Tarantino Level in film-making, but in addition write hit songs for big artists, as well as producing my video game designs in addition to my kid's books and other works.  Hopefully, I will be blessed by Creation to see this road find it's culmination.
La Libertad:  What projects are you working on? 
J.D.:  I am working on my sixth short film, "Memory Road," Black and White Noir, in addition to prepping for my seventh, "A God Among Sheep," as well as about to do lighting for a local commercial, in addition to procuring more work in shooting other local artists' work.
La Libertad:  What upcoming events, if any, do you intend to participate in?
J.D.:  I have two short films in the Northern Virginia International Film Festival, which should be a hoot.

La Libertad:  What links would you like to share?
J.D.:  Home my website where all my different avenues of work can be found.
[We assume J.D. is referring to:

www.stormcrowproductions.com]

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?  

J.D.:  Follow your aspirations and dreams, and never give up.  With every fall, stand and keep treading.  I have spent twenty-five years with such belief, poverty as my constant companion, but have never stopped stepping, and I am now on the verge of success.  Never lose faith.  Creation gave you your gifts for a reason.

Introduction by Josh Mitchell and William Mortensen Vaughan

Interview by Libertad Green

No comments:

Post a Comment