Friday, March 7

Our Cover Model: Denyc


I first met Denyc (pronounced like "Denise") at Damian Pelliccione's Post Sundance Red Carpet Press Event, Thursday night, January 30, 2014, at the Station Lounge, in the W Hotel, in Hollywood, California.  An enthusiastic, outgoing, young woman, she is the very sort of person LA Libertad wants to interview!

WMV:  Your bio indicates that your hometown is Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.  When and where were you born?

Denyc:  I was actually born in Burnaby, B.C. [British Colombia], which is a city right beside Vancouver, but it's part of what is called Metro Vancouver, so it's easier to say Vancouver, since everyone's heard of it.   I had always dreamed of being an urban city girl before moving to Van in 2004.   Loved every minute of living in that city!

WMV:  In what city and State do you currently reside?

Denyc:  I live in Venice, California, right by the beach.  I'm as west coast as it gets, LOL. 

WMV:  Your IMDb page indicates that your race is "mixed."  What races and ethnicities do you identify with?

Denyc:  I have a mixed heritage, but I'm Canadian all the way through to my love of maple syrup and hockey, LOL.  Growing up, I didn't really know who to relate to, but soon after, I realized I was a pioneer of a new race, and that I could identify with the human race as a whole.  We are all connected, regardless of race or ethnicity, and I'm really happy that is now becoming more apparent in our everyday lives. 

WMV:  Your name, Denyc, is suggestive of New York City.  Have you been there, and, if so, what did you think of it?

Denyc:  I have been to New York, and it was awesome!  It was probably one of the best trips of my life to date, haven't been back since, 'cause I haven't figured out yet how I'm gonna top it.  As great as it was, it has absolutely nothing to do with the way I spell my name, which has been spelled that way since I was twelve.   Whole 'nother story...

WMV:  What are your favorite places to visit?

Denyc:  I love traveling, period.  A place I haven't been to yet, that's my fav.

WMV:  Where haven't you traveled, that you'd like to go?

Denyc:  I want to go everywhere.  There are so many places I want to see!  My dream is to travel filming, so I've been writing scripts that will take me to new places. 

WMV:  As someone who is fond of beaches, are you a good swimmer?

Denyc:   Well, I'm not doing flips off the diving board and pulling off the butterfly like a pro, but yes, I can keep my head above water. 

WMV:  What other sports or hobbies do you enjoy?

Denyc:  One of the awesome things about L.A. is all the outdoor activities one can do.  I love to go hiking, and ride my bike along the strand [beach in German] (two things I never thought I would say before I moved here, which is crazy now that I think about how amazing doing that in Van would be).  Yoga is a huge passion of mine; it feeds my body, mind, and spirit.  Best thing anyone can do for themselves! 

WMV:  Congratulations on becoming a member of S.A.G./A.F.T.R.A. last year, Denyc!  How has that affected your entertainment career so far, this year?

Denyc:  Thank you!  It definitely means a lot to me.  I had to overcome the biggest obstacle of obtaining a work visa for this country, so, after I received that, the next step was to join the union, and, so far, it has been wonderful.  It's great to be a part of an organization that has your back in your career.   I am able to work for all the big productions now, and it's very motivating. 

WMV:  Political activists like to compare the socialized medicine in Canada to the capitalized medicine in the U.S.A.  How do you think it compares?

Denyc:  It doesn't compare really.  I never had to worry about being able to afford going to the doctor, or avoiding the hospital because it might cost me thousands.   Everyone should have the right to see a doctor when they need to, and it shouldn't cost you your life savings; it should be free.  There is always going to be a good and bad side to everything, of course, I'm not saying the Canadian way is perfect, but I really think that the health system in Canada is one to learn from. 

WMV:  What comments, if any, would you like to make about your fellow Canadians, Justin Bieber, and Toronto Mayor, Rob Ford?

Denyc:   Party at my house. 

WMV:  Do a lot of people think you look like Charlotte Lewis?

Denyc:  Do you think I look like her?  I guess I kinda do, LOL.  I don't know; I get a few different names here and there.  It's the mix thing that people always try to pinpoint; its a fun game. 

WMV:  Yes, I do think you look like Charlotte Lewis.

The Press section of your website has an article in what appears to be Chinese or Japanese.  What foreign languages do you read, write, speak, and understand?

Denyc:  I know two languages:  English, and Body Language.  Totally fluent in both!  Impressive, aren't I?

WMV:  Yes, you are...

What web links would you like to share?

Denyc:  All of these!  I have always been an online girl, so look me up wherever - except SnapChat.  That's dumb. 

http://www.imdb.me/denyc

https://www.facebook.com/denycdenise

http://instagram.com/denycdenise/

http://twitter.com/denycdenise

http://www.youtube.com/denycp

WMV:  You played a bride in Stan Helsing.  Have you ever been a bride in reality?

Denyc:  Holy $#%!  I just realized that I am technically still engaged to be married because I never actually made it official.  OMG, I must start planning.  It's gonna be a movie called Married to the camera, my life story.  Man, I've been living a lie for years, thanks for bringing this to light; the camera owes me a wedding!!

WMV:  LOL.

What, if anything, would you like to tell our readers about your family, friends, relatives, or significant others?

Denyc:  They're all awesome, and they inspire and challenge me everyday.   For that I am grateful. 

WMV:  What projects are you currently working on?

Denyc:  I am currently working on several projects!  I have a super funny web series called "California Roll."

http://whathappensinyourcar.com/ and

https://www.facebook.com/whathappensinyourcar

We are coming close to finishing the post-production on the thirteen-episode season.  It's the first comedy series I wrote, produced, and starred in, and it has a hilarious cast, so you're gonna want to be ready with popcorn for that one.

I also just finished my latest script, which is a thriller called Dreamland (a beach in Bali).  This I'm really proud of because it's a story inspired by true events, and it's a finalist in the Madremonte Project [www.themadremonteproject.com].  You can read more about this exciting news here:

http://www.lbv.co/velvet_voice/madremonte/conv_madremonte_preseleccionados.html

The chosen five will be announced at Cannes this year; I'm stoked.

I have an upcoming role in a new, feature film coming this spring; this one I don't have to do anything but show up for - never knew how easy actors had it till I started producing, LOL.

I think I will always inherently have a lot of different projects going on.  Look at me; I'm multi-tasking!

WMV:  What charities, if any, do you support?

Denyc:  I support several.  Right now, I am raising awareness for:

 http://childrensrescuealliance.org

We are creating a documentary to help them get the word out.  This needs to be stopped. 

WMV:  You mentioned that you are a writer who prefers to communicate via text rather than live conversation.  What have you written that you'd like to share with our readers?

Denyc:  O.K., you got me.  It's so much easier for me to communicate by writing than speaking!  It's always been that way.  I guess that's what makes me a writer.  However, it wasn't until a few years ago, that I realized my writing could be an actual career; before, it was just a way for me to express myself.  So, I haven't published any award-winning works yet, but something tells me that all that is about to change.   Muahahahaha (evil laugh felt right there for some reason)... 

WMV:  Are you the webmistress for Denyc.com?

Denyc:  Oooh, webmistress sounds so bad!  Teehee!   Yes, I am, and now you may only address me as Mistress Denyc from this point on. 

WMV:  What prejudices have you encountered in life in general, and in the entertainment industry in particular?

Denyc:  I've definitely encountered prejudices.  There's a lot more to me than dressing up in pretty clothes and smiling for the camera (though my Instagram might tell you otherwise).   It used to really bug me, but now I've learned to turn misconceptions into strengths. 

WMV:  How [did] you intend to celebrate Valentine's Day this year?

Denyc:  Bonbons, lots of bonbons...

Interview by William Mortensen Vaughan
Photographed by Libertad Green 











No comments:

Post a Comment