Friday, February 7

Interview with Sharna Lee

Sharna Lee is an award-winning photographer whose  work has appeared in LifeStyle Magazine.  Between  2009 and 2013, she has received approximately a half  dozen First Place Awards, a half dozen Third Place  Awards, several Second Place Awards, and at least a  dozen Honorable Mentions.  The categories for which  she has received photographic awards include nature,  portrait, monochrome, and sports.

I first met Sharna on the set of a photo shoot, for  which Libertad Green modeled "the Grunge look" in  front of an abandoned building covered with colorful  graffiti.

WMV:  Your awards include one or two that have  something to do with "the S4C Level."  What is "the  S4C Level"?

Lee:  Southern California Council of Camera Clubs...

WMV:  Several of your awards are related to the LPA.   What does "LPA" stand for?

Lee:  Lancaster Photography Association...

WMV:  There is an album in the Sports section of your  website dedicated to Jamie Lenore?  Who is Jamie Lenore?

Lee:  Jamie Lenore is a Motorcycle Racer out at Willow Springs [in Rosamond, California].  He was the  first racer to approach me about taking pictures for him.  He loves my pictures and I love taking them, so he's been a special friend ever since.

WMV:  The portrait section of your website lists subjects by first and/or last name; one section has a  generalized title:  Senior Portraits.  Are elderly people of particular interest to you, and, if so, why?

Lee:  Senior Portraits are for High School Seniors.  I shot a few of my friends' teens so they didn't have to  spend an arm and a leg to get some pictures of their High School Children.  I even shot my own daughter's High School Senior Pictures.

WMV:  Your website also has a special section for Arizona.  Why is Arizona so special to you?

Lee:  I have two Sons that live in Arizona.  One grandson and one grand baby on the way...

WMV:  What countries and States have you traveled to?

Lee:  The only other country I've ever visited was Mexico.  I took a trip out to Cabo San Lucas for a vacation with my family several years ago just to get away from here.  It was fun, but it was too long, and we missed our home and animals.  I have been to so many States that I can't remember them all.  When I was a kid, my dad took us traveling across the U.S. to visit with my aunts and uncles all the way from here to Illinois.  And my brother sent a ticket when he was stationed in Hawaii.

WMV:  Which destinations are you favorites?

Lee:  Hawaii, and I love the Grand Canyon.  I can learn to  love Texas.  Utah was very pretty.  I love nature, and I love to mix nature with people.  I think portraiture should be taken outside.  It gives it color and life that you just don't get in a studio.

WMV:  Where haven't you been that you'd like to  visit?

Lee:  Australia...  I hear they have the world's deadliest animals, and I'd love to photograph some.

WMV:  What do WCGP, WSIR, and WSMC stand for?

Lee:  West Coast Grand Prix, Willow Springs International Raceway, Willow Springs Motorcycle Club...

WMV:  You are apparently fond of pets, wild animals  and children.   What children and/or pets, if any, do  you have?

Lee:  I am a HUGE animal lover.  I have four dogs, a snake, a hamster, a Chinchilla, and some fish.  I have three children:  two boys and a girl.  My boys live in Arizona with their father and my grandson and daughter-in-law, and my daughter lives here with me and my current husband.

WMV:  One section of your website is entitled Caliente.  Do you speak Spanish?

Lee:  LOL - not very much or very well...  My daughter took four years of Spanish in High School, so she knows way more than I do.  (I know a little.)

WMV:  What other foreign languages, if any, do you speak?

Lee:  None...  I can say "No" in German that's about it.

WMV:  One section on your website is entitled Weddings; how much do you charge to photograph a wedding?

Lee:  I am not a wedding photographer, nor do I ever wish to be.  That was just some family friends, and it was more work than fun, so I won't do weddings.

WMV:  Are you married, and, if so, to whom?

Lee:  I am married to my best friend.  He helps to push me when I feel like I can't do something or I'm not good enough. His name is Kevin Lee, and we've been together for twenty years this July.

WMV:  What would you like to tell our readers about your parents, siblings, children, and/or any other  friends and relatives?

Lee:  I would like to say that I miss my parents a whole lot, and wish I had spent more time with them when they were around.  My dad worked at Lockheed, and my mom was a housewife.  My dad also was into photography; I think that's where I got the bug.  I  have three older brothers and three older sisters, so I am "the baby."  I have a few close friends that know me intimately, but I mostly keep to myself.  I'm an introvert by nature.

WMV:  What exactly is the relationship between you and Matthews Photography?

Lee:  Bonnie and I are great friends.  We met at the Lancaster Photography Association meeting and have hit it off famously.  She and I both have disabilities, so we shoot together very well.

WMV:  You and Ms. Matthews recently photographed Libertad Green modeling "the Grunge look."  Whose idea was that, and why Grunge?

Lee:  It was my idea.  Bonnie and I were going to just go hang out and shoot the birds at Apollo Park; then Ms. Green replied to my interest in taking her pictures.  I looked through some of her pictures and saw that she didn't have any pictures in Jeans and T-Shirt, so I figured she should show her diverse side to the world - show that she can pull off anything.  And she did.  Nice job, Libertad!

WMV:  What web links, if any, would you like to share with our readers?

Lee:

http://boobear9358.smugmug.com

www.facebook.com/sharnalee65



WMV:  Your Facebook URL ends with '65"; is that the  year you were born?

Lee:  Yep...  Shhhh!  LOL, I'm an oldie.

WMV:  Your Facebook indicates that you're "from  Palmdale"; is that where you currently reside?

Lee:  I was born and raised in Palmdale, and I live in  the house I was born in.  So, yep, I reside in  Palmdale.

WMV:  What does SMMoA stand for?

Lee:  Santa Monica Museum of Arts...  My daughter had to do art projects in High School, and we had to visit a few art museums down in L.A.

WMV:  I saw the word "Benefit" on your website; what charities do you support, and why?

Lee:  Hmmm, benefit?  None at this time...

WMV:  You photograph some buildings - mostly old, decrepit buildings.  Why do you seem to prefer those to more magnificent and/or well maintained structures?

Lee:  I think that if I can show the true beauty of a building that's in disrepair, then I must be doing something right.

WMV:  You also photograph plants.  What kind of plants would or do you prefer to receive on special occasions?

Lee:  I love Lilies of the Valley, and I love roses.

WMV:  You are apparently a fan of the Green Bay Packers; why?

Lee:  My whole life, my dad tried to get me to watch football.  I refused.  I didn't understand it, nor was I interested in understanding it.  My husband came along, and he was a Green Bay Packers fan, and he taught me the game - taught me to make the calls before the officials...  So, I understood the game, and our team won that year, with Brett Favre leading The Pack.  So, I've  been a fan ever since.

WMV:  How did you commemorate Martin Luther King Day  this year?

Lee:  I don't remember.  It was just another day to me.

WMV:  How do you intend to celebrate Valentine's Day this year?

Lee:  Probably with my daughter, since my husband won't be home...

Interview by William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment