Saturday, January 21

Interview With Musician Beverly Perry

Beverly told us that her "publicist forwarded [our] interview questions" to her, and she thanked us "for taking the time to learn about [her] project," "Incorrection." We thank her for her answers.

La Libertad:  Where are you from?

Beverly:  I’m currently living in the Dallas, Texas area.

La Libertad:  How did you get your start in music? 

Beverly:  My love of music came from extended family so my journey as a songwriter started in middle school.

La Libertad:  What would you like to tell our readers about your new documentary series, "Incorrection"?

Beverly:  Shaken by the near-death experience of my nephew, Sam, who was detained in solitary confinement, nearly eight months, during a mental health crisis, I set out on a two-year journey to expose the ugly truth behind the neglect, torture, and death of the unconvicted in America.  

This five-part series starts in Lawton, an economically depressed, military town in southern Oklahoma. "Incorrection" follows the story of twenty-one-year-old Sam Aycock, including numerous former jail detainees, family members, and jail staff, in this truth-is-stranger-than-fiction, limited, documentary series. Hundreds of hours of undercover audio, filmed interviews, eye-witness accounts and reports tell the story of the unbelievable plight of those trapped in the Oklahoma criminal justice system.

As this gripping series expands beyond the state of Oklahoma, I discovered that too often it’s not a judge or jury who decide one’s fate; it’s jail administrators, corrections officers, and jail medical staff.  It’s a guilt-by-accusation mentality where you can receive the death penalty for a bad check; mental illness is punishable by torture; and insulin is only for the lucky.  

"Incorrection" asks the glaring question:  Why is there so little will to hold abusers accountable?

Having never been arrested, I naively believed that in America, jail detainees had prompt legal representation, brief stays in jail, and were treated humanely. Through the filming of this series, I discovered that nothing could be further from the truth. When we allow human rights abuses to go unchecked, it erodes the safety and security of every law-abiding citizen, and destroys any chance of fairness in our criminal justice system.

"Incorrection" is a resounding wake-up call for every American who values the ideals of truth, justice, fairness, and human dignity.

La Libertad:  What would you like to tell our readers about how
The Dallas Music Network started?

Beverly:  [The] Dallas Music Network was originally a way to help artists during the pandemic shut-downs. We were concerned about how artists were going to continue to connect to audiences during that time. Too many talented artists were leaving the profession altogether. A group of friends got together in March of 2020, and began to live-stream artists at no charge. Eventually, that led to the fully formed non-profit organization Dallas Music Network. Now, with fully produced films, we have helped more than five hundred artists and musicians with promotion, streaming, video assets, and
collaboration opportunities at no cost to the artist. In 2022, we have already exceeded three million collective streams. All of Dallas Music Network productions are available, on demand, on the independent film and music "app," [application] Two Stage TV. Two Stage TV is available to download, FREE, on all major TV streaming devices, including Apple TV, Roku Player, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV and Internet TV. The app is also available, FREE, in Google Play and Apple App stores for mobile devices.

La Libertad:  What inspires you?

Beverly:  People who endure hardship to make a real difference [in] the world inspire me. I’m fascinated by the go-getters and the do-gooders who overcome obstacles.

La Libertad:  What are you most looking forward to at Sundance 2023?

Beverly:  This will be my first trip to Sundance. My goal is to soak in the creative energy, meet people in the industry, and, hopefully, come away with fresh, new ideas. And, of course, I want to create momentum for the new documentary series, "Incorrection," which launches, in its entirety, in early spring, 2023. It has been a labor of love.

La Libertad:  Of what accomplishment are you most proud?

Beverly:  I’ve always had the ability [to create] something out of nothing.  My dad abandoned the family when I was two. My mother was a twenty-two-year-old, single mother of two, with no financial support. She made it work. I have that same grit. Dinner was sometimes  Wonder Bread and hotdogs, when I was a kid, but we had dinner. Like her, I can make something out of nothing. I’ve done it over and over again, in my life. Sometimes, it’s a song. Sometimes, it’s simply learning something new. And, sometimes, it’s pushing to be heard when the topic really matters. Accomplishment, for me, is not some milestone I hit, or major success of a project. It’s my grit to continue. That is what I am most proud of.  

La Libertad:  What are your overall career goals?

Beverly:  My goals are more about what good I can do, what change I can make in the world, in my community, in someone’s life... I’m not looking for a job or a career. I’m looking to live a life that matters.

La Libertad:  What links would you like to share?


Beverly:  

www.theincorrection.com
www.dallasmusicnetwork.com
www.twostagetv.com
https://www.facebook.com/theincorrection
https://www.facebook.com/DMNMusicNetwork

La Libertad:  What else, if anything, would you like to tell our readers?

Beverly:  One of my projects is Two Stage TV. It’s a FREE, TV streaming channel that I created for independent film and music. It’s available for download on all major TV streaming devices. If any of your readers are interested in submitting content they can email twostagetv@gmail.com.  It is not a revenue producing channel, at this stage, but it is worthwhile for creators to have a place to stage their quality content, for others to see. All of [the] Dallas Music Network productions are available on demand, and the "Incorrection" series will launch on the channel, this spring, as well. 

Artists can submit to appear on Dallas Music Network [at]:

https://www.dallasmusicnetwork.com/apply

For more information on the "Incorrection" series, email info@theincorrection.com.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell your readers about these important projects. 

Interview edited with introduction by William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment