Wednesday, September 9

Nine Ways to Hell Interview Five: Alejandra Diaz, Director of "Heresy"

Alejandra Díaz is the co-writer/director of ​"Heresy."

I was born and raised in Cordoba, Veracruz, Mexico, and decided to move to L.A. at theage of twenty-five, after realizing that I had nothing to lose and so much to gain! I first started calling myself a "filmmaker" after I was chosen by Nick to be a part of this very special project.

I was lucky enough to have met him and the Guerrilla group the same/first year I started living in California, and it was an honor for me to have been considered for this.

I am passionate about (of course) films, music and sports; I play tennis almost everyday, and I used to play soccer in high school and college. I play the guitar, and there's no time that I can be without music; I believe we must have a soundtrack for every situation in our lives. My goal is to one day become recognized not for myself and image, but for my work. I think that we are a representation of our work and not the opposite, therefore, art in all its forms should be used to create and not to destroy, and, in the end, that's what filmmaking is to me.

...I learned English when I was six, and have been practicing ever since, and I [am at] an intermediate level in French. What a better way of communication besides arts than languages, right?

I co-wrote and directed ​"Heresy​." My best friend, who is also part of the cast, helped me write the script, and during the day of the shoot, she also helped with directing. I wanted to make something simple, and to focus mainly on the actors' skills and talent for the horror factor to be transmitted. I think we (they) did a great job.

Interview by
Alejandra Díaz

Edited by
William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment